Skip to content ↓

SEN School Information Report

All Peterborough Local Authority (LA) maintained schools have a similar approach to meeting the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and are supported by the LA to ensure that all pupils, regardless of their specific needs, make the best possible progress in school.

All schools are supported to be as inclusive as possible, with the needs of pupils with Special Educational Needs and Disabilities being met in a mainstream setting wherever possible.

The four broad ‘areas of need’ are Communication and Interaction, Cognition and Learning, Social, Emotional and Mental Health Difficulties, and Sensory and Physical Needs.

What is the Local Offer?

The LA Local Offer

The Children and Families Bill became enacted in 2014. From this date, Local Authorities and schools are required to publish and keep under review information about services they expect to be available for the children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) aged 0-25. This is the ‘Local Offer’ The intention of the Local Offer is to improve choice and transparency for families. It will also be an important resource for parents in understanding the range of services and provision in the local area.

The LA's Local Offer can be accessed through this website.

The School SEN Information Report

This utilises the LA Local Offer to meet the needs of SEN pupils as determined by school policy, and the provision that the school is able to meet.

What can we at Nene Valley Primary School offer you?

At Nene Valley Primary School, we embrace the fact that every child is different and, therefore, the educational needs of every child are different; this is certainly the case for children with Special Educational Needs.

Please click on the 13 questions below for more information about the Local Offer from Nene Valley Primary School and how we can support your child.

Who are the best people to talk to in this school about my child’s difficulties with learning/Special Education Needs or Disability (SEND)?

The class teacher

Responsible for

  • Checking on the progress of your child and identifying, planning and delivering any additional help your child may need (this could be targeted work or additional support) and letting the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo) know as necessary.
  • Writing Pupil Progress targets and sharing and reviewing these with parents at least once each term and planning for the next term.
  • Personalised teaching and learning for your child as identified on the school’s provision map.
  • Ensuring that the school’s SEN Policy is followed in their classroom and for all the pupils they teach with any SEN.

The SENCo: Mrs Carly Pearson

Responsible for

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEN policy.
  • Co-ordinating all the support for children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND)
  • Ensuring that you are
    • involved in supporting your child’s learning
    • kept informed about the support your child is getting
    • involved in reviewing how they are doing.
  • Liaising with all the other people who may be coming in to school to help support your child’s learning, e.g. Speech and Language Therapy, Educational Psychology.
  • Updating the school’s SEN register (a system for ensuring that all the SEND needs of pupils in this school are known) and making sure that records of your child’s progress and needs are kept.
  • Providing specialist support for teachers and support staff in the school, so that they can help children with SEND in the school to achieve the best progress possible.

The Head teacher: Mr N. Reilly

Responsible for

  • The day-to-day management of all aspects of the school; this includes the support for children with SEND.
  • The Head teacher will give responsibility to the SENCo and class teachers, but is still responsible for ensuring that your child’s needs are met.
  • The Head teacher must make sure that the Governing Body is kept up to date about issues relating to SEND.

The SEN Governor: 

Responsible for

  • Making sure that the necessary support is given for any child with SEND who attends the school.
School contact telephone number:  01733 897517

What are the different types of support available for children SEND in our school?

Class teacher input

Excellent targeted classroom teaching (Quality First Teaching).

For your child this would mean

  • That the teacher has the highest possible expectations for your child and all pupils in their class.
  • That all teaching is built on what your child already knows, can do and can understand.
  • That different ways of teaching are in place, so that your child is fully involved in learning in class. This may involve things like using more practical learning.
  • That specific strategies (which may be suggested by the SENCo) are in place to support your child to learn.
  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has a gap or gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.

Specific group work

Intervention which may be

  • Run in the classroom or a group room.
  • Run by a teacher or a teaching assistant (TA).

Specialist groups run by outside agencies, e.g. Speech and Language therapy

SEN Code of Practice 2014: School Support (SS)

This means a pupil has been identified by the SENCo/Inclusion Manager/class teacher as needing some extra specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from a range of Local Authority central support services.

What could happen:

  • You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional, e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist or Educational Psychologist. This will help the school and you to understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them more effectively in school.
  • The specialist professional will work with your child to understand their needs and make recommendations as to the ways your child is given support.

Specified Individual support

This type of support is available for children whose learning needs are severe, complex and lifelong.

This is usually provided via an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). This means your child will have been identified by professionals as needing a particularly high level of individual or small-group teaching.

This type of support is available for children with specific barriers to learning that cannot be overcome through Quality First Teaching and intervention groups.

Your child will also need specialist support in school from a professional outside the school. This may be from

  • Local Authority central services such as the ASD Outreach Team, Behaviour Support or Sensory Service (for students with a hearing or visual need).
  • Outside agencies such as the Speech and Language Therapy (SALT) Service.

For your child this would mean:

  • The school (or you) can request that Local Authority Services carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process which sets out the amount of support that will be provided for your child.
  • After the request has been made to the ‘Panel of Professionals’ (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case, they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the current support.
  • After the reports have all been sent in, the Panel of Professionals will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong. If this is the case, they will arrange a meeting to develop an Education Health Care Plan (EHCP) for your child. At this meeting, all relevant professionals who are involved in your child’s episode of care will be invited to attend. If this is not the case, they will ask the school to continue with the current level of support and also set up a meeting in school to ensure a plan is in place to ensure your child makes as much progress as possible.
  • The EHC Plan will outline the amount of money that the school will receive to support your child a) from the school and b) top-up funding from the LA along with recommendations for how the support should be used, and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long- and short-term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.

What types of support are available for my child at Nene Valley Primary School?

At Nene Valley Primary School we have a variety of ways that we can offer support for your children. These are listed under the following headings below:

Cognition and Learning

All Pupils Some Pupils Pupils with SEN
  • Quality teaching
  • Phonics teaching (structured daily sessions – KS1) 
  • Planned activities to match all needs including in-class support. 
  • Practical Apparatus / Visual Aids.  
  • Writing Frames / scaffolds
  • Word Mats
  • Access to a variety of ICT software. 
  • Focussed/differentiated group work.  
  • Booster Intervention Groups
  • In-class support from teachers / teaching assistants 
  • Specialist interventions e.g. Mathematics – 1st Class@Number, Reading – Better Reading Partnership
  • Reading buddies 
  • Specialist interventions e.g. Mathematics – 1st Class@Number, Reading – Better Reading Partnership
  • Catch-up programmes e.g. Gap Pack. 
  • Additional 1:1 reading 
  • Pre/post teaching/learning
  • Additional 1:1 support if necessary. 
  • Visual timetable
  • Learning Log support
  • Beat Dyslexia Pack

Communication and Interaction (Speech, Language and social interaction needs)

All Pupils Some Pupils Pupils with SEN
  • Quality first teaching
  • Differentiated curriculum planning
  • Use of symbols (PEC)
  • Structured school and class routines
  • Look out list
  • Visual timetables
  • In-class support from TA with some focus on supporting speech and language
  • Visual aids e.g. word mats.
  • Additional use of IT (Clicker5)
  • Southfields Pack
  • Use of Symbols (PEC)
  • Speech and language support from Speech and Language Therapist, with a programme followed up in school.
  • Visual prompts to support organisation
  • Southfields Pack / Black Cat pack

Social, Emotional and Mental Health

All Pupils Some Pupils Pupils with SEN
  • Whole school behaviour policy
  • Whole school / class rules  - using the school values
  • Class reward and sanctions systems
  • Circle Time
  • Child Protection procedures
  • Small group social groups
  • Nurture Group – new beginnings
  • Group reward system
  • Support for unstructured times
  • Sensory circuits
  • Support from Education Welfare Officer
  • Peer mentors (Mini-mentors)
  • Individual counselling / bereavement specialists
  • Play therapy
  • Individual reward system
  • Nurture group
  • Anger management training
  • Peer mentoring (Mini-mentors)
  • Social skills training Circle of Friends
  • Structured playtime

Medical, Sensory or Physical Needs

All Pupils Some Pupils Pupils with SEN
  • Flexible teaching arrangements
  • Staff aware of implications of physical impairment e.g. deaf awareness training
  • Access to medical support / school nurse.
  • Brain gym exercises
  • Sensory circuits
  • Additional handwriting practice (Write from the Start).
  • Access to equipment, eg writing slopes, pencil grips, therabands.
  • Specialised Sensory support e.g. Paston pack
  • Occupational therapy programme
  • Access to specialist ICT
  • Individual Care Plans (medical)
  • Radio aids / T-loop in school office. 

How can I let the school know that I am concerned about my child’s progress in school?

If you have concerns about your child’s progress, you should speak to your child’s class teacher initially.

  • If you continue to be concerned that your child is not making progress, you may speak to the Special Education Needs/Disabilities Co-ordinator (SENCo).
  • The school SEN Governor can also be contacted for support.

How will the school let me know if they have any concerns about my child’s learning in school?

If your child is identified as not making progress, the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more detail and to:
  • Listen to any concerns you may have.
  • Plan any additional support your child may need.
  • Discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child.

How is extra support allocated to children, and how do they progress in their learning?

  • The school budget, received from Peterborough LA, includes money for supporting children with SEN.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the deployment of resources for Special Educational Needs and Disabilities, in consultation with the school governors on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the  SENCo  discuss all the information they have about SEND in the school, including
    • the children getting extra support already,
    • the children needing extra support,
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

From this information, they decide what resources/training and support is needed.

  • The school identifies the needs of SEN pupils on a provision map. This identifies all support given within school and is reviewed regularly and changes made as needed, so that the needs of children are met, and resources are deployed as effectively as possible.

Who are the other people providing services to the children with SEND in this school?

School provision
  • Teachers responsible for teaching SEN groups/individuals on a part-time basis.
  • Teaching Assistants and HLTAs mainly working with either individual children or small groups.

Local Authority Provision delivered in school

  • Autism Outreach Service
  • Sensory Service for children with visual or hearing needs
  • Parent Partnership Service
  • SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

Health Provision delivered in school

  • Additional Speech and Language Therapy input to provide a higher level of service to the school
  • School Nurse
  • Occupational Therapy
  • Physiotherapy
  • Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHs)

How are the teachers in school helped to work with children with SEND, and what training do the teachers have?

The SENCo’s job is to support the class teacher in planning for children with SEN.

  • The school provides training and support to enable all staff to improve the teaching and learning of children, including those with SEN. This includes whole school training on SEN issues, such as Dyslexia and speech and language difficulties.
  • Individual teachers and support staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to the needs of specific children in their class, e.g. from the sensory service or Autism Outreach Team.

How will the teaching be adapted for my child with SEND?

Class teachers plan lessons according to the specific needs of all groups of children in their class and will ensure that your child’s needs are met.

  • Support staff, under the direction of the class teacher, can adapt planning to support the needs of your child where necessary.
  • Specific resources and strategies will be used to support your child individually and in groups.
  • Planning and teaching will be adapted, on a daily basis if needed, to meet your child’s learning needs.

How will we measure the progress of your child in school?

  • Your child’s progress will be continually monitored by his/her class teacher.
  • His/her progress will be reviewed formally by the child’s class teacher every half term in reading, writing and mathematics.
  • Progress of your child will be tracked by the SENCo after the formal review.
  • At the end of each key stage (i.e. at the end of year 2 and year 6), all children are required to be formally assessed using Standard Assessment Tests (SATS). This is something the government requires all schools to do and are the results that are published nationally.
  • Where necessary, children will have a Single-Page Profile (SPP) based on targets set by the class teacher and outside agencies specific to their needs. Targets will be set with your child and designed to accelerate learning and close the gap. Progress against these targets will be reviewed regularly, evidence for judgements assessed and the Single-Page Profile adapted.
  • The progress of children with an EHC Plan will be formally reviewed at an Annual Review with all adults involved with the child’s education.
  • The SENCo will also check that your child is making good progress within any individual work/intervention and in any group that they take part in.
  • Regular book scrutinies and lesson observations will be carried out by members of the Senior Management Team to ensure that the needs of all children are met and that the quality of teaching and learning is high.

What support do we have for you as a parent of a child with SEND?

  • The class teacher is regularly available to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns you may have and to share information about what is working well at home and school, so that similar strategies can be used.
  • The Inclusion Manager/SENCo is available to meet with you to discuss your child’s progress or any concerns/worries you may have.
  • All information from outside professionals will be discussed with you with the person involved directly, or where this is not possible, in a report.
  • Single-Page Profiles will be reviewed with yours and your child’s involvement every term.
  • Homework will be adjusted as needed to your child’s individual requirements.

How is Nene Valley Primary School accessible to children with SEND?

  • The school is fully compliant with Disability Discrimination Act requirements.
  • The school is on a single-level with easy access and ramps.
  • There are two disabled toilets and a shower area.
  • We ensure where-ever possible that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • After-school provision is accessible to all children, including those with SEN.
  • Extra-curricular activities are accessible for children with SEN.

How will we support your child when they are joining this school? Leaving this school? Or moving on to another class?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEN, and we take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

If your child is joining us from another school:

  • The SENCo will visit pre-schools with the Foundation Stage Leader when appropriate.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.
  • Your child will be able to visit our school and stay for a taster session, if this is appropriate.

If your child is moving to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child. Where possible, a planning meeting will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher in advance and in most cases a transition meeting will take place with the new teacher where SPPs will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

In Year 6:

  • The SENCo will discuss the specific needs of your child with the SENCo of the child’s secondary school. In most cases, a transition review meeting to which you will be invited will take place with the SENCo from the new school.
  • Your child will participate in focused learning relating to aspects of transition, to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Where possible, your child will visit their new school on several occasions, and in some cases staff from the new school will visit your child in this school.
  • If your child would be helped by a book/passport to support them in understand moving on, then one will be made for them.

How will we support your child’s emotion and social development?

We recognise that some children have extra emotional and social needs that need to be developed and nurtured. These needs can manifest themselves in a number of ways, including behavioural difficulties, anxiousness, and being uncommunicative.

All classes follow a structured PSHE (Personal, Social and Health Education) curriculum to support this development. However, for those children who find aspects of this difficult we offer:

  • Where appropriate, a support group to improve self-confidence, support with loss or develop social skills.
  • Teaching Assistants specifically trained to support your child’s emotional needs.
  • Where needed lunchtime and playtime support through planned activities and groups – normally overseen by Midday Supervisors.

If your child still needs extra support, with your permission the SENCo will access further support through the Early Help process.